- Botanical Name:Allium aflatunense 'Purple Sensation'
- Height: 30 - 36 inches
- Ship As: 10-12 CM
- Spacing: 6 - 9 inches
- Spread: 6 - 9 inches
- Light Requirements: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Color: purple
- Foliage Type: Basal leaves are strap-shaped, up to 4" broad and die away soon after blooming.
- Bloom Time: Late spring to early summer
- Flower Form: Dense, spherical umbel 4" wide
- Planting Instructions: Plant bulbs 4 - 6" deep.
- Soil Requirements: Will grow in just about any well drained soil.
- Growth Rate: good
- Pruning: n/a
- Winter Care: none special
- Additional Information: Allium possess oniony smelling flowers and foliage.
- Unable to ship to: AE AK GU HI ID PR WA
An improvement on Allium aflatunense. It bears 4-inch globes of rich purple flowers on tall stems. Purple Sensation is early for an allium; blooms on the heels of late tulips. Best planted in clusters in a perennial or mixed border.
Note: Alliums are resistant to deer, but rodents such as voles and gophers may eat the bulbs.
When Will My Bulbs Ship ?
You Might Also Like:
Purple Sensation# 6023
per 25:$ 14.00
per 100:$ 34.00
per 1000:$ 315.00
2017 Catalog:Page 137
Bloom Time:Very Late
Density:4 per sq. ft.
Western Zone:to 10
Synonyms:Allium aflatunense, Allium hollandicum
With its unique form, stately 30-36" height and brilliant lilac-purple flower heads, Purple Sensation Allium makes quite a splash in the late-spring garden. Positively stunning as a container planting; makes an exceptional addition to cut flower arrangements and bold, stylized bouquets, too. Earns its name in the garden—it's sensational even in poor soil! Beneficial pollinators love it, but deer won't bother. Naturalizes easily once established. Allium aflatunense 'Purple Sensation'
- Zone 3-8
- Height 30 - 36 inches
- Bloom Time Late spring to early summer
- Light Requirements Full Sun, Partial Shade